Cancer patient raises £16,000 for medics at Northwick Park Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Kevin McGowan donated funds to the haematology medical and nursing team
A cancer patient from Kingsbury was overwhelmed by the treatment he received from a group of medics that he raised £16,000 for their cause.
Kevin McGowan presented a six-figure cheque to the haematology medical and nursing team at Northwick Park Hospital in Watford Road, Sudbury, last week.
The 60-year-old was treated by the team in the Byrd ward after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma last January.
He was so grateful for their care that he raised the funds by holding a hosted a dance and auction at the Mazenod Social Club in Kilburn.
You may also want to watch:
Me McGowan said: “I was very unwell when I first meet Dr Charalampia Kyriakou a year ago.
“In all my years I have not met such a dedicated and caring professional and I am so grateful that she was there to look after me while I was having treatment.
- 1 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 2 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 3 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants
- 6 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
- 7 Dykes double helps QPR defeat Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Two 17-year-old boys shot and stabbed in Kingsbury
- 9 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 10 Lessons from the Covid pandemic: we need a revolution!
“She really went above and beyond the call of duty, which is why we wanted to raise the money to go towards lymphoma research, which is something she is passionate about.
“I am fortunate to be part of a very generous Irish community who donated so many great prizes to the auction. We had Celtic shorts, football tickets, hampers, all sorts. The rest of the money has come from donations.
“People have been really generous towards the cause.”
Dr Kyriakou added: “I am so pleased to see Kevin looking so well and delighted with the generous donation that he and his supporters have made towards Lymphoma research.
“There is always more we can learn about this disease and improve treatment and quality of life for patients with blood cancers.”