Campaigners say farewell to their GP provider in Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
Patients and campaigners for a GP surgery in Sudbury held a farewell party to its former provider they fought to keep.
Sudbury Primary Care Practice in Watford Road, was taken over by new management NH Solutions on November 1, replacing Integrated Health CIC, which was favoured by the large majority of patients.
Dr Ukechukwu Omodu,Dr John Akumabor. Dr Mandana Emami, who took over the practice by forming a social enterprise will remain as employees under the new management.
Gaynor Lloyd, a patient and member of Brent Patient Voice (BPV), said: “We needed to mark and celebrate three fantastic years since they took over as a social enterprise. It was arranged at the very last minute.
“We had a cake, and some champagne and thanked the doctors for everything. They are still employees but we don’t know what’s going to happen. We know it won’t be the same.”
You may also want to watch:
The successful GP practice in has grown form 5,000 patients to over 8,500 in just three years.
The group took down all the pictures, posters and articles relating the fierce battle they fought to keep their doctors running the surgery.
- 1 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 2 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 3 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 4 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 5 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 6 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 7 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 8 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 9 Letter on Kilburn Square
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
Campaigners marched down to Parliament in March with a 3,700 signature petition.
They later took it to the headquarters of NHS Improvement, which is responsible for overseeing foundation trusts and NHS trusts.
BPV are holding a meeting on December 1 at The Learie Constantine Centre in Dudden Hill Lane, Dollis Hill, to discuss the future of Brent’s GP surgeries.
Ms Lloyd added: “There is a GP crisis happening and we fear the demise of the family doctor with many being pushed into federation.
“The reality is GP surgeries are closing all over London with Beechcroft Medical Centre in Wembley the latest to close last week. About 4,000 patients have to be redistributed. It’s a real concern.”