Campaign to extend bus routes to Northwick Park Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners have lobbied transport bosses to extend a number of bus routes to Northwick Park Hospital (NPH) following the closure of a casualty unit in Park Royal.
NPH in Watford Road has become the sole A&E department in the borough after the unit at Central Middlesex Hospital (CMH), in Acton Lane, was axed as part of the controversial Shaping a Healthier Future plan.
Navin Shah, London Assembly member for Brent and Harrow, submitted a written question to the Mayor of London’s office, in a bid lengthen the 204 Sudbury Town Station to Edgware Station and the 395 Harrow Bus Station to Westway Cross Retail Park, Greenford services.
He said: “With the closure of the A&E department at CMH, it is important now more than ever to have better transport links to the unit at NPH, for easy access for people living on the other side of the borough.”
Paul Lorber, former Liberal Democrats leader of the council, has also called for the 18 bus route, which runs from Euston Station to Sudbury, to be extended to provide a direct route to the hospital for Stonebridge and Harlesden residents.
Currently, passengers from routes 18 and 204 can change buses in Wembley, at the same bus stop, to board a route 182 bus that serves the hospital every 8 minutes.
Adding that improving bus services should be a priority, he continued: “Having an extra bus running alongside the 182 is a simple and practical solution that would benefit the thousands of people living on the other side of the borough.”
- 1 Flats approved for Brondesbury Park
- 2 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 3 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 4 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 5 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 6 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 9 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 10 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
Transport for London (TFL) has refused to extend the routes to NPH, claiming there are ample bus services to the hospital for borough residents.
Bob Blitz, TfL’s network planning manager said: “We are aware of requests from the local community to extend bus routes 18, 204 and 395 to Northwick Park Hospital.
“We have considered these requests carefully.
“Passengers can already reach the Hospital by conveniently changing from these routes at either Wembley or Harrow Bus Station and so we cannot justify the expense of extending these services.”