Campaign to extend bus routes to Northwick Park Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners have lobbied transport bosses to extend a number of bus routes to Northwick Park Hospital (NPH) following the closure of a casualty unit in Park Royal.
NPH in Watford Road has become the sole A&E department in the borough after the unit at Central Middlesex Hospital (CMH), in Acton Lane, was axed as part of the controversial Shaping a Healthier Future plan.
Navin Shah, London Assembly member for Brent and Harrow, submitted a written question to the Mayor of London’s office, in a bid lengthen the 204 Sudbury Town Station to Edgware Station and the 395 Harrow Bus Station to Westway Cross Retail Park, Greenford services.
He said: “With the closure of the A&E department at CMH, it is important now more than ever to have better transport links to the unit at NPH, for easy access for people living on the other side of the borough.”
Paul Lorber, former Liberal Democrats leader of the council, has also called for the 18 bus route, which runs from Euston Station to Sudbury, to be extended to provide a direct route to the hospital for Stonebridge and Harlesden residents.
You may also want to watch:
Currently, passengers from routes 18 and 204 can change buses in Wembley, at the same bus stop, to board a route 182 bus that serves the hospital every 8 minutes.
Adding that improving bus services should be a priority, he continued: “Having an extra bus running alongside the 182 is a simple and practical solution that would benefit the thousands of people living on the other side of the borough.”
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 3 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 4 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 7 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 8 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 9 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 10 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
Transport for London (TFL) has refused to extend the routes to NPH, claiming there are ample bus services to the hospital for borough residents.
Bob Blitz, TfL’s network planning manager said: “We are aware of requests from the local community to extend bus routes 18, 204 and 395 to Northwick Park Hospital.
“We have considered these requests carefully.
“Passengers can already reach the Hospital by conveniently changing from these routes at either Wembley or Harrow Bus Station and so we cannot justify the expense of extending these services.”