Brent medical chief leads procession at Florence Nightingale commemorative service
- Credit: Archant
A medical chief led a special procession at Westminster Abbey to commemorate the life and work of Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale known as ‘the lady of the lamp.
Gloria Rowland, head of midwifery and gynaecology at The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, carried a ceremonial lamp with an escort of senior nurses from the University of the West of England during the annual service.
Ms Nightingale who was heralded for her nursing skills during the Crimean War was born 194 years ago today.
She died aged 90 on August 13, 1910.
The event was attended by nurses and representatives form the Florence Nightingale Foundation which creates a living memorial to the medic’s hard work by offering scholarships to use for the study of nursing and midwifery.
Ms Rowland, whose role includes overseeing maternity services at Northwick Park Hospital, received a scholarship from the foundation to evaluate a maternity information DVD for non-English speaking Somali women.
She said: “It was an honour for me and the trust to be selected to carry the lamp and lead the nursing possession this year in such an important service and to see so many colleagues from across the country involved.
- 1 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 2 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 3 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 4 Adomah's late goal wins it for QPR at Coventry
- 5 Below-par QPR found a way to win at Coventry says Warburton
- 6 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 7 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 8 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 9 Brent Mosque vaccinates 10,000th person
- 10 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
“It was a fantastic service and evening which I am grateful to have been selected to play such an important role.”
For more information about the foundation visit http://www.florence-nightingale-foundation.org.uk/