Brent Central MP hosts successful diabetes awareness event
- Credit: Archant
A Brent MP hosted a successful diabetes diagnosis day to raise awareness to the condition in Willesden Green.
Sarah Teather, Liberal Democrat MP for Brent Central, invited diabetes charity Silver Star’s Mobile Diabetes Unit to visit her constituency.
Around 85 people were tested in unit which was stationed outside Sainsbury’s.
Recent figures show that Brent has the highest rate of diabetes in England, with more than one in 10 of the borough’s over-16 population suffering from the disease.
This equates to more than 3,000 sufferers in Brent.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Teather said: “It was great to see so many people getting a diabetes test.
“With the diabetes rate in Brent the highest in the country, it is so important that it as easy as possible to get a diagnosis.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 3 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 6 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 7 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 8 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 9 Charlie Cooper guides Wealdstone to victory at King's Lynn Town
- 10 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
“Silver Star’s work is vital in boosting awareness and providing quick and easy testing in the community.”
The testing took place last Friday.