Brent Central MP hosts successful diabetes awareness event
- Credit: Archant
A Brent MP hosted a successful diabetes diagnosis day to raise awareness to the condition in Willesden Green.
Sarah Teather, Liberal Democrat MP for Brent Central, invited diabetes charity Silver Star’s Mobile Diabetes Unit to visit her constituency.
Around 85 people were tested in unit which was stationed outside Sainsbury’s.
Recent figures show that Brent has the highest rate of diabetes in England, with more than one in 10 of the borough’s over-16 population suffering from the disease.
This equates to more than 3,000 sufferers in Brent.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Teather said: “It was great to see so many people getting a diabetes test.
“With the diabetes rate in Brent the highest in the country, it is so important that it as easy as possible to get a diagnosis.
- 1 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 2 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 3 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 4 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 5 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 6 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 7 Pensioner dies after crashing into a wall in Kenton
- 8 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 9 Disabled Wembley cyclist calls for more inclusivity on Brent's roads
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
“Silver Star’s work is vital in boosting awareness and providing quick and easy testing in the community.”
The testing took place last Friday.