Brent Central MP hosts successful diabetes awareness event
- Credit: Archant
A Brent MP hosted a successful diabetes diagnosis day to raise awareness to the condition in Willesden Green.
Sarah Teather, Liberal Democrat MP for Brent Central, invited diabetes charity Silver Star’s Mobile Diabetes Unit to visit her constituency.
Around 85 people were tested in unit which was stationed outside Sainsbury’s.
Recent figures show that Brent has the highest rate of diabetes in England, with more than one in 10 of the borough’s over-16 population suffering from the disease.
This equates to more than 3,000 sufferers in Brent.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Teather said: “It was great to see so many people getting a diabetes test.
“With the diabetes rate in Brent the highest in the country, it is so important that it as easy as possible to get a diagnosis.
- 1 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 2 Immigration status forces Brent homeless back on the streets
- 3 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 4 Litter crusader launches mission to clean up Wembley
- 5 Man taken to hospital following fire in Willesden
- 6 QPR motivated by 'nothing to play for' talk says Warburton
- 7 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 8 The Old Bell reopens in Kilburn with a much larger beer garden
- 9 Woman and child in hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Harlesden
- 10 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
“Silver Star’s work is vital in boosting awareness and providing quick and easy testing in the community.”
The testing took place last Friday.