Head to Harlesden for Jamaica’s 50th Independence anniversary celebrations
Double toast for the nation following Usain Bolt’s Olympic glory
Residents are encouraged to head down to Harlesden today where an all day celebration will be honouring Jamaican culture.
Today, (Monday) marks the 50th anniversary of the Caribbean island’s independence from Britian and to celebrate Harlesden Library Plus, in Craven Park Road, will be holding a day of festivities.
JA 50 kicks off with a Jamaica style story and rhyme performance, before a live animal show featuring a selection of exotic beasts from the island will be showcased.
The borough’s very own brain box and former Mastermind champion Shaun Wallace will be in town later on in the evening to host a brain scratching quiz from 6-15pm.
Arts and crafts stalls will also be available all day.
The 50th anniversary celebrations are set to be honoured in communities across the UK and back in the Caribbean. However, many Jamaicans will have been celebrating already following national hero Usain Bolt’s dazzling performance to claim gold in the 100m final last night at the Olympic Games.
- 1 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 2 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 3 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 4 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 10 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
His team mate and compatriot Yohan Blake picked up the silver medal.
Cllr James Powney, lead member for environment and neighbourhood services at the council welcomed all residents to come along and join the fun.
He said: “The day will be a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the great achievements of Jamaica and Jamaican culture in the last 50 years, which has contributed so much to the world.”
Harlesden is believed to have the highest population of Jamaican residents in London.
To see a full programme for the day visit, www.brent.gov.uk/libraries or call 020 8937 3400.