Head to Harlesden for Jamaica’s 50th Independence anniversary celebrations
Double toast for the nation following Usain Bolt’s Olympic glory
Residents are encouraged to head down to Harlesden today where an all day celebration will be honouring Jamaican culture.
Today, (Monday) marks the 50th anniversary of the Caribbean island’s independence from Britian and to celebrate Harlesden Library Plus, in Craven Park Road, will be holding a day of festivities.
JA 50 kicks off with a Jamaica style story and rhyme performance, before a live animal show featuring a selection of exotic beasts from the island will be showcased.
The borough’s very own brain box and former Mastermind champion Shaun Wallace will be in town later on in the evening to host a brain scratching quiz from 6-15pm.
Arts and crafts stalls will also be available all day.
The 50th anniversary celebrations are set to be honoured in communities across the UK and back in the Caribbean. However, many Jamaicans will have been celebrating already following national hero Usain Bolt’s dazzling performance to claim gold in the 100m final last night at the Olympic Games.
- 1 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 2 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 3 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 4 Battle lines drawn as school’s 3G pitch decision heads to meeting
- 5 Police officers barred for 'shameful' misconduct over murdered sisters
- 6 Met Police arrest more than 900 in London-wide knife crime op
- 7 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack
- 8 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 9 Handcuffing: What is the Met's new policy and why has it been introduced?
- 10 Covid-19: How Brent's current cases compare to November 2020
His team mate and compatriot Yohan Blake picked up the silver medal.
Cllr James Powney, lead member for environment and neighbourhood services at the council welcomed all residents to come along and join the fun.
He said: “The day will be a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the great achievements of Jamaica and Jamaican culture in the last 50 years, which has contributed so much to the world.”
Harlesden is believed to have the highest population of Jamaican residents in London.
To see a full programme for the day visit, www.brent.gov.uk/libraries or call 020 8937 3400.