Harlesden residents and workers offered the chance to research their family history
- Credit: Archant
Course starts next month at the Unity Centre in Church Road
Residents who live or work in Harlesden could soon learn about their family history thanks to a new programme starting next week.
Harlesden Routes is a free family history event which will run until March 2013.
It aims to support local people in taking the first steps in learning and researching their history.
The course, called Harlesden Routes, will start on February 6 with activities taking place every week at the Unity Centre in Church Road.
The free sessions will cover different aspects of family history using local records and online archives, photographs, social history, creative writing, interviewing techniques and the importance of DNA.
Patrick Vernon OBE, who helped set up the course, said: “Harlesden is a culturally diverse area with many untold stories and experiences of local history and migration which makes the area a positive and inclusive place to live and work. “We are looking for committed individuals who live, work and/or have strong family connections with Harlesden.”
- 1 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 2 Brent scheme helping people with disabilities after Covid
- 3 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 4 Four adults and child rescued from roof as blaze destroys flat
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 'Grandfather of Kensal Rise': Barber Gee Artrey dies at 86
- 7 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 8 Girl, 14, sexually assaulted on Tube by man who asked for her Snapchat
- 9 London to Hong Kong to Selfridges: Couple’s snack brand journey
- 10 Guilty: North London criminals jailed in December 2021
Participants must be willing to develop a case study based on interviews and or research of an aspect of their family history which can be shared with others locally.
If the course is successful it could be set up in other parts of the borough.
Place are limited.
Email email@example.com for an application form or further details.