Harlesden ballet star to perform series of intimate duets
- Credit: Archant
Harlesden’s former Royal Ballet star is to perform a series of intimate duets with his wife for the first time in 15 years.
Russell Maliphant, who has lived in Harlesden for 18 years, is to appear on stage with wife and muse Dana Fouras at the Print Room at the Coronet in Notting Hill from March 6- 17.
The performance marks the first time they have danced together professionally 15 years ago.
He said: “We haven’t had the opportunity to dance a duet together for over 15 years and it’s interesting facing where we were then, where we are now, and what we can draw out of each other.
“I recently worked with her on some new material during a period of research and development and I wanted to draw on some of that material to create a short duet for the two of us to sit alongside the other, older, pieces for this Print Room season.”
You may also want to watch:
Maliphantworks2 is a collection of four duets performed live in the venue’s intimate theatre space and a fifth duet will performed on screen in the studio.
The video is created using original footage of the pair shot on location in the Irish Sea for a production of Dido and Aeneas at Bruges Opera House in 2003.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 6 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
One of the duets in the show, Extract from Art Anatomy, is part of a new full-length company work which will premiere at Sadler’s Wells in 2019.
The 56-year-old trained at The Royal Ballet School and graduated into Sadler’s Wells Royal Ballet.
He left to pursue a career in independent dance and has won a number of awards, including an Olivier Award in 2003 for his dance Broken Fall.
His company, Russell Maliphant Company, was granted National Portfolio status by the Arts Council last year.
Mr Maliphant, a father of three, moved to Harlesden 18 years ago, which he said is a great location for travelling given the amount of touring he does.
He added: “It’s always been a good place for us - we’ve met some great people over the years who have become close friends.
“It’s culturally very mixed and I enjoy that side of the community.”
Tickets to the performance cost £25, concessions £15. Performance times: 7.30pm.
To book tickets, call the Print Room Box Office on 020 3642 6606