Gun surrendered in Brent during the Met’s firearms amnesty
- Credit: Archant
A gun has been handed in at Wembley Police Station during the Met’s two-week long firearms amnesty.
As the campaign draws to a close on Sunday police have revealed that so far 25 weapons have been handed in across London.
The weapons surrendered to date are three shotguns, six miscellaneous firearms, 13 airguns and three imitation weapons.
In addition 11 bags of ammunition have also been handed in.
During the amnesty, people surrendering firearms may not face prosecution for illegal possession and can remain anonymous.
You may also want to watch:
Each live weapon handed in will be assessed by firearms officers, with some weapons being forensically checked for evidence.
Detective Superintendent Stephen Clayman of the Trident and Area Crime Command, said: “Whilst some dangerous weapons and ammunition have been surrendered over the last ten days, I acknowledge that the number of firearms being handed in is lower than expected, hence this final last push to encourage people to do the right thing.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
“As of next week, anyone found with illegal firearms may well be prosecuted, so now is the time to surrender them.”
Firearms can be handed in at any of the Met’s 24-hour police stations, which are listed at met.police.uk/giveupyourgun.
The amnesty ends on Sunday at 11pm.