Greens get back to business as manager McCann makes squad sweat it out on return
- Credit: Archant
Hendon Football Club are back in full swing after the players returned to pre-season training last week ahead of the new Bostik League Premier Division campaign.
The Greens will be hoping to mount a promotion push under boss Gary McCann, who begins his 14th season in charge of the club, with fixtures for the new season to be announced next week ahead of an August 12 start date.
New signings Niko Muir – who returns to the club after a spell with league rivals Leiston last season– striker Zak Joseph and midfielder Ashley Nathaniel-George from Hanwell Town and Potters Bar Town respectively, linked up with the existing squad and trialists for the first time.
And all were put through their paces during a rigorous session at their 3G-surfaced Silver Jubilee Park home by McCann and new coach Fabio Valenti, who has previously played for and managed former tenants Edgware Town.
The summer months have also seen the Greens put the finishing touches to their stadium, having refurbished the club house interior as well as installing a new external catering hut and a new club shop, located in an area of the ground renamed Clarke’s Corner, in memory of Geraldine and Dave Clarke – lifelong Cricklewood residents and long time Hendon fans, who both passed away in the last 12 months.
New seating has also been placed in the main stand from cricket venue Lord’s having been kindly donated by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), while on the pitch, McCann’s side begin their pre-season fixtures when they host Hanwell Town on Tuesday, July 11 (7.30pm kick-off).
The following weekend (July 15-16) sees Silver Jubilee Park host, and sponsor, a four-team tournament where Hendon will be joined by Hemel Hempstead Town, Hitchin Town and Hayes & Yeading United with fixtures due to commence at 1pm on both days.
- 1 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 2 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 3 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 10 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
Other home friendlies for the Greens include visits from National League Premier newcomers Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday, July 25 and then Hertford Town on Monday August 7, with both of those games kicking off at 7.30 pm.
Away from north London, McCann will take his side to Dunstable Town (July 22), Whitehawk (July 29) and Potters Bar Town (August 1) before rounding off their travels at VCD Athletic on August 5.