Green campaigners lobby MP
A GROUP of climate campaigners descended on an MP’s surgery to push for cleaner energy policies.
Brent Campaign for Climate Change want to see government minister and Brent Central Lib Dem MP, Sarah Teather, use her influence to strengthen laws requiring homes and companies to improve their energy efficiency.
It comes at a time when fears over increasing fuel poverty are rising as energy prices rise, the temperature drops and cuts in jobs and benefits stretch peoples’ budgets.
Brian Orr, a BCACC member who lobbied Ms Teather at her Willesden office, on Friday, November 19, said: “There are thousands of people locally who are struggling to pay energy bills within increasingly pressurised household budgets.
“The government has to do far more to help people insulate their homes to cut fuel bills at the same time as helping the environment.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Teather, who will vote for the forthcoming Energy Bill, said: “I’m pleased to support their calls for greater action; it’s good for the economy and the environment. Making the connection to local people concerned about climate change is important.”
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Labour wins Brondesbury Park in tightly contested by-election