Green campaigners lobby MP
A GROUP of climate campaigners descended on an MP’s surgery to push for cleaner energy policies.
Brent Campaign for Climate Change want to see government minister and Brent Central Lib Dem MP, Sarah Teather, use her influence to strengthen laws requiring homes and companies to improve their energy efficiency.
It comes at a time when fears over increasing fuel poverty are rising as energy prices rise, the temperature drops and cuts in jobs and benefits stretch peoples’ budgets.
Brian Orr, a BCACC member who lobbied Ms Teather at her Willesden office, on Friday, November 19, said: “There are thousands of people locally who are struggling to pay energy bills within increasingly pressurised household budgets.
“The government has to do far more to help people insulate their homes to cut fuel bills at the same time as helping the environment.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Teather, who will vote for the forthcoming Energy Bill, said: “I’m pleased to support their calls for greater action; it’s good for the economy and the environment. Making the connection to local people concerned about climate change is important.”
- 1 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 2 QPR boss pleased with Man United win and now looking to tie down Odubajo
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 5 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 6 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 7 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 8 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
- 9 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 10 New QPR signing Stefan Johansen wants to push for promotion