GP practice in Brent axes premium rate phone numbers
- Credit: Archant
A GP practice in Brent has stopped charging its patients premium rates to book an appointment following a campaign by residents.
The Law Medical Group Practice, which has surgeries in Wrottesley Road, Kensal Green, and Harrow Road, Wembley, has ditched its 0844 telephone lines which patients were forced to use if they want to see a doctor or nurse.
They were heavily criticised as patients were saddled with a 15p connection charge and costs of between 5p per minute to 12p per minute if they called from a BT or Virgin Media landlines.
Patients using a mobile phone faced charges of up to 40p per minute.
Both surgeries have now introduced a local 020 number.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Matt Kelcher, a Labour councillor for Kensal Green, was at the forefront of the year long campaign.
He said: “I’m delighted that the surgeries are coming into line with other local GP surgeries by using local call numbers.
- 1 Prospect House eviction: Families struggle to move out
- 2 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 3 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 4 Willesden residents say 'no' to new betting shop
- 5 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 6 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 7 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 8 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
- 9 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 10 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
“Tt is particularly important at this time that our vital public services are accessible to those who rely upon them.”