GP practice in Brent axes premium rate phone numbers
- Credit: Archant
A GP practice in Brent has stopped charging its patients premium rates to book an appointment following a campaign by residents.
The Law Medical Group Practice, which has surgeries in Wrottesley Road, Kensal Green, and Harrow Road, Wembley, has ditched its 0844 telephone lines which patients were forced to use if they want to see a doctor or nurse.
They were heavily criticised as patients were saddled with a 15p connection charge and costs of between 5p per minute to 12p per minute if they called from a BT or Virgin Media landlines.
Patients using a mobile phone faced charges of up to 40p per minute.
Both surgeries have now introduced a local 020 number.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Matt Kelcher, a Labour councillor for Kensal Green, was at the forefront of the year long campaign.
He said: “I’m delighted that the surgeries are coming into line with other local GP surgeries by using local call numbers.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 8 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 9 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
- 10 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
“Tt is particularly important at this time that our vital public services are accessible to those who rely upon them.”