GP practice in Brent axes premium rate phone numbers
- Credit: Archant
A GP practice in Brent has stopped charging its patients premium rates to book an appointment following a campaign by residents.
The Law Medical Group Practice, which has surgeries in Wrottesley Road, Kensal Green, and Harrow Road, Wembley, has ditched its 0844 telephone lines which patients were forced to use if they want to see a doctor or nurse.
They were heavily criticised as patients were saddled with a 15p connection charge and costs of between 5p per minute to 12p per minute if they called from a BT or Virgin Media landlines.
Patients using a mobile phone faced charges of up to 40p per minute.
Both surgeries have now introduced a local 020 number.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Matt Kelcher, a Labour councillor for Kensal Green, was at the forefront of the year long campaign.
He said: “I’m delighted that the surgeries are coming into line with other local GP surgeries by using local call numbers.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 7 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 8 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 9 Mayhew staff cull risk as animal charity is 'restructured'
- 10 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed
“Tt is particularly important at this time that our vital public services are accessible to those who rely upon them.”