Gorkss: Rangers were lucky to win

TWO-GOAL hero Kas-pars Gorkss admitted Rangers were fortunate to extend their incredible winning streak despite the margin of victory against Doncaster.

The Latvian centre-back broke the deadlock eight minutes into the second half and then sealed the Rs’ seventh success in eight Championship matches with a header late on.

But the result was thickly smeared with Lady Luck’s fingerprints – Rovers had the better of the first half and struck the woodwork twice, while QPR were also aided by the award of their fifth penalty in four home games.

“They probably had the best chances and we didn’t really deserve to win this game,” Gorkss told the Times. “I think last year we wouldn’t have won it.

“We would have drawn the game or even lost it. But that just shows the character we have in the team now – even when we don’t play well we keep winning.

“I’m enjoying this while it lasts and hopefully it will last until the end of the season. I’m pleased to score two goals – the first one just landed in my path and that was all I could do.

“If the penalty had been for the third goal they’d probably have let me take the kick for a hat-trick, but I think at 1-0 up no-one would let me do that!

Most Read

“It’s fantastic the kind of players we have on the bench and it seems unfair that we keep winning and they don’t get a chance in the team. But I’m pretty sure that they will have their say later in the season.”

It says much for manager Neil Warnock’s motivational powers that he has so far tended to call on substitutes to replace tiring or injured players, rather than to actually turn a game around.

That habit, it seemed after 45 minutes, might need to change, with Doncaster distinctly unlucky not to have broken the deadlock as they swept the ball crisply around the Loftus Road pitch.

In a lively opening, Matthew Connolly blocked a powerful Shelton Martis header – and QPR were indebted to a more dramatic goal-line clearance from Clint Hill midway through the first half.

Paddy Kenny flung himself across goal to tip John Oster’s flighted free-kick onto the post, but the follow-up fell to James O’Connor, who seemed set to end Rangers’ perfect home defensive record until Hill hared back to scramble the ball off the line.

Kenny also denied Paul Shiels on two occasions, while Rangers could muster only one attempt at goal as Kyle Walker sprinted down the right and set up Jamie Mackie, who could not find the power to beat Neil Sullivan.

If anything, it was still against the run of play when Gorkss lashed in the loose ball after his header, from an Akos Buzsaky corner, had rebounded off Martis.

James Coppinger almost equalised minutes later when his curling effort sailed over Kenny but clipped the crossbar, while Connolly denied Billy Sharp and the Rs’ lead looked far from secure.

They finally increased it nine minutes from time, referee Roger East robbing Heidar Helguson of a goal when the striker was felled by Sullivan, but regained his footing to steer the ball into the net.

East offered Adel Taarabt the chance to replace Helguson on the scoresheet by signalling a penalty instead and the Moroccan gratefully netted from the spot before supplying the corner for Gorkss to make it 3-0 two minutes from the end.