Girls celebrating International Women’s Day in Wembley with a football tournament.
- Credit: Archant
Girls are meeting for a fierce competition in Wembley to mark International Women’s Day.
A girl's football tournament featuring 120 players aged 10 to 13 years old will kick off at 12pm on March 8 at Ark Elvin Academy, in Cecil Avenue.
Teams including Brent Schools, Youngs FC, Capital Academy and Foots UK will take part in the competition to be crowned Wembley Cup champions.
Giuseppina Carnavale (Brent Schools girl's U13 captain) said: "I'm really looking forward to playing in the Wembley Cup. Women don't get enough
recognition and next week's tournament is a good chance to do this.
You may also want to watch:
There is a lot of talented female footballers in Brent but we need to close the gap between girls and boys. I recently completed a school project that showed average male players earned much more than the top female footballers. We need to make
sure we all get the same opportunities."
- 1 Gun shot at wall during 'terrifying' burglary in Wembley
- 2 Police continue Wembley murder investigation after footage emerges
- 3 Two arrested after man survives being stabbed in Wembley
- 4 Bailed: Four men arrested in connection with Sven Badzak killing in Kilburn
- 5 QPR defender Dickie praises the board and manager for change in fortunes
- 6 Appeal to send Wembley great-gran 101 birthday cards to 'make her day'
- 7 New vaccine and test centre opens in Willesden Green mosque
- 8 Man jailed after victim stabbed with machete in Neasden burglary
- 9 Wanted drug dealer jailed after police seize combat knives in Willesden
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teen fatally stabbed in Wembley
The event is organised by former Stonebridge councillor Zaffar Van Kalwala and Connect Stars and supported by Wembley Stadium National Trust
Mr Van Kalwala said: "The Wembley Cup is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate and recognise the
outstanding contributions made by women in Brent. It is also a great way to support
our young women to thrive and lead happy, healthy lives."