Generations unite to grow fruit and veg
Residents will team up with youngsters for special event
BOTH old and young plan to reap what they sow by taking part in a community event next week.
Residents at Middlesex Manor Nursing Centre in Harrow Road, Wembley, will be teaming up with youngsters for a ‘grow and sow’ day on April 21 at 3pm.
Participants will have their watering cans ready as they enjoy the ‘Community Crops’ initiative promoting the health benefits associated with gardening and growing your own fruit and veg.
The project is being supported by young people involved with The Prince’s Trust xl programmes, who are linking up with Bupa care homes across the UK to help sow and grow the crops.
You may also want to watch:
Residents have also been inviting local schools and community groups to lend a hand with planting and start their own vegetable plots.
Home manager, Sonia Verzosa said: “This is a great way for our residents to appreciate the fresh air, stay active and get a real sense of achievement by tending to the crops and watching them grow.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 5 Mark Warburton insists QPR on right track despite Bristol City defeat
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 8 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 9 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
“Getting the local community involved is important to us as well. It promotes healthy and active lifestyles, and lets everyone to see first-hand the benefits of growing your own fruit and veg. A big thank you to everyone who is helping us plant, water and plan for the year ahead.”
Grow and sow day will take pl
For more information about getting involved with the Community Crops campaign or to attend your local ‘sow and grow’ day, call 0845 600 4622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about The Prince’s Trust xl programme please visit www.princes-trust.org.uk or call 0800 842 842.