Garden designer from Wembley is the best in the country
- Credit: Archant
Christine Wilkie wins Grand Designs Live competition
A talented garden designer from Wembley has been crowned the country’s best after winning a national competition.
Christine Wilkie has claimed the title of Garden Designer of the Year at the Grand Designs Live competition.
Based on popular TV show Grand Designs, the competition aimed to find winners across a variety of design categories.
Mrs Wilkie’s garden, called ‘Glow’ had to meet Grand Designs’ ethos of contemporary, inspirational, ethical and environmental and given that the majority of the garden’s elements were either recycled or derived from sustainable sources the judging panel, including Kevin McCloud, host of the Channel 4 show, were moved to award it top prize.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Wilkie, who lives in Norval Road, said: “I am absolutely delighted to win. It’s been great to be part of such a prestigious event and to have my hard work recognised for my first show design, its fantastic.”
The 52-year-old, who only took up the hobby in 2008, was chosen ahead of three other finalists.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 5 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 6 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 7 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 8 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent pub...REVEALED
- 9 Police looking for man in Wembley after 'threats to kill'
- 10 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
According to the judging panel the garden “demonstrates how sustainable principles need not be compromised when seeking to create an ethical outdoor room with wow-factor.
“In particular, the Random tiles in patio and feature wall make a strong design statement.”
Grand Designs Live is currently on at London’s ExCel Centre from the May 4-12 for its 9th consecutive year.
The Grand Designs Live 2013 show plays host to more than 500 exhibiting companies across seven dedicated sections:
Grand Build, Grand Interiors, Grand Kitchens, Grand Bathrooms, Grand Gardens, Grand Technology and the Grand Village.
For more information on Mrs Wilkie and her company Christine Wilkie Garden Design call 020 8904 4157 or go to www.christinewilkie.co.uk.