Fundraising event to promote men’s health awareness to take place in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising community event to promote the importance of men’s health will be taking place in Wembley.
Hosted by The Fathers In Brent Team (FIB) and Father Figure the day involves a host of family activities include a 2km fun run to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK.
The free event, which is also supported by Brent Youth & Connexions and a number of local community organisations, aims to highlight the importance of men from ethnic minorities looking their health.
Prostate Cancer UK has been chosen as the event’s nominated charity because black and Afro Caribbean men are three times more likely to receive a diagnosis.
David Cummings is the founder of Father Figure, a network and resource for fathers which promotes positive parenting by working with individuals, groups and organisations.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The object of the work is to support men in their role as fathers which in turn will lead to better outcomes for their children.
“This year Father Figure and the Fathers in Brent Team felt that it amongst all the fun activities such as swimming, golf and cooking we would seek to engage and further educate men with regard s to their health too, as part of being able to carry out that role requires one to be in good health.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
“We aim to raise funds for Prostate Cancer UK but also awareness amongst the families within this community, in turn we hope this will reduce the mortality rate and dispel some of the miffs and stigma related to the testing process.”
Healthy Men Make Better Fathers Family Fun Day and Prostate Cancer Fundraiser even will take place at Poplar Grove, Wembley, on September 8 from 1pm- 6pm.