French school in Wembley in bid to install indoor swimming pool
- Credit: Archant
An independent French school in Wembley has sought planning permission to build a five-lane basement swimming pool which will be available for community use.
The Wembley Educational Charitable Trust (WECT) which looks after the The Lycee International de Londres Winston Churchill in Forty Lane, put in a planning application which will be decided tomorrow.
The plan is to build a part basement complex in front of the Grade II listed former town hall building to house the swimming pool and studio with a green roof.
The plans also include a courtyard entrance, security gates, cycle parking, demolish and reinstate a retaining wall, with landscaping and installation of solar panels on the roof of the new annex building.
Community access is proposed for the new swimming pool which could be open during the week for use by local schools for four half-day sessions. It may also be open in the early morning and late evening for residents although no decisions have been made.
You may also want to watch:
Community use of the pool will be operated by an external management company.
Trees on the site will be removed and replaced within the school grounds.
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
- 6 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 7 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 8 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 9 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 10 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
Two memorial trees will be replanted in nearby Chalkhill Park and two memorial leafs provided on the memorial tree in Brent Civic Centre, in Engineers Way.
The bus shelter in Forty Lane will have to be relocated.
A spokesman for the Lycee said: “We know that WECT applied for planning permission for a swimming pool in front of the school, but we are not involved in the actual process.”