Founder of Sufra Food Bank in Brent wins Halifax Giving Extra Award
- Credit: onEdition
The founder of a food bank in Brent has won an award for his dedicated work to tackling poverty in the borough.
Since setting up Sufra Food Bank in 2013, Mohammed Mamdani has helped to feed thousands of the borough’s poorest residents.
Sufra means “come to the table” in Arabic and is a charity which aims to change people’s perception of food banks from embarrassing to a comfortable and welcoming experience.
Last year, Mr Mamdani and his team of volunteers collected and distributed 46 tonnes of food which helped more than 3,400 people.
When he’s not distributing food, he’s working with the council to provide accommodation for someone who is homeless, raising money for a single mother who cannot afford school uniform for her children or helping a young person to write their CV.
His dedication has resulting in his scooping a Halifax Giving Extra Award which recognises hard-working member of the community across the county.
Warsame Nur, a trustee and chair for Sufra Food Bank, nominated Mr Mamdani for going above and beyond for the people in his community.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 2 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 3 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 4 Brent cycling group calls to improve rather than remove LTNs
- 5 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 6 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 7 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 8 Stonebridge community group to keep fighting after losing Bridge Park appeal
- 9 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 10 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
Mr Mamdani said: “I’m so pleased to have won the Halifax Giving Extra Award. It’s great that the incredible work of the charity is being recognised. I’ll be sharing the reward with all the hardworking volunteers, as they deserve the recognition too.”
Pushpa Hirani, community ambassador for Halifax bank commented: “Halifax received thousands of nominations nationwide, so we’re delighted that Mohammed has won a Halifax Giving Extra Award for Brent.
“The work he has done for the community is outstanding and truly deserves the recognition.”
As one of 67 regional winners Mr Mamdani will each receive £300 in bonus bond vouchers and go on to be named the national champion later this month.
For information about Sufra Food Bank visit sufra-nwlondon.org.uk.