Firefighters help the country’s oldest Olympic torch bearer celebrate her 103rd birthday
- Credit: Tony Hardiman/FR Pix
Firefighters paid a surprise visit to the Kenton home of the country’s oldest Olympic torch bearer to help her celebrate her 103rd birthday.
Diana Gould, of Draycott Avenue, was given flowers, chocolate and a card from the four crew members based at Stanmore Fire Station after she inspired them during a previous visit.
Mrs Gould, who was 100 when she carried the torch through Barnet during the London 2012 games, met the crew after they visited her home to carry out a routine home fire safety inspection.
She captivated them so much that they turned up in their fire engine to wish her a happy birthday last week.
Stavros Marangos, crew manager, said: “She is a remarkable lady, very independent, extremely youthful in her looks and she stole our hearts with her amazing attitude and her banter.
You may also want to watch:
“Her positive, fun, happy outlook on life really touched us and we wanted to go out of our way to do something a little bit extra for her.
“She was delighted to see us and she captivated me and my colleagues all over again.”
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 3 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 4 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 7 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 8 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 9 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
Mrs Gould ‘s late husband, Ellwood served in the Auxiliary Fire Service during the Second World War and was stationed at Stoke Newington in north London.
For more information about home fire safety visits go to:bit.ly/1AJ0Jew