Fire safety warning following Kensal Green kitchen blaze

The warning follows a fire last night at the house in Kilburn Lane, Kensal Green. Pic: London Fire B

The warning follows a fire last night at the house in Kilburn Lane, Kensal Green. Pic: London Fire Brigade - Credit: Archant

Two people were lucky to escape unharmed after trying to tackle a fire which broke out in their kitchen before leaving the property in Kilburn Lane.

An investigation into last night’s fire showed that some material had fallen onto the gas hob which caught light.

A man who attempted to extinguish the fire himself before being forced to leave the property due to the smoke and a woman who also escaped before crews arrived were both uninjured.

The Fire Brigade were alerted to the fire, which damaged part of the ground floor of the two storey mid-terrace house, by a neighbour.

Station Manager John Ryan, who was at the scene, said: “Leave firefighting to the professionals, never tackle them yourself but Get Out, Stay Out and dial 999.


You may also want to watch:


“It’s also important to ensure materials like tea towels, napkins and clothing are kept well away from cookers and naked flames like gas hobs as they can catch fire very quickly and can easily spread to other surfaces.”

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers tackled the fire.

Most Read

The Brigade was called at 1741 and the fire was under control at 2141.

Fire crews from North Kensington, Paddington, Kentish Town and Kensington fire stations attended the incident.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter