Fire in elderly couple’s Kingsbury home caused by unattended candles
- Credit: Archant
A fire which tore through the home of an elderly couple in Kingsbury on Tuesday morning was caused by unattended candles, fire investigators have confirmed.
The pair were treated for shock after the blaze broke out in their house in Sherbone gardens shortly after 6am on Tuesday morning, gutting the ground floor and part of the first floor of the property.
London Fire Brigade said the couple had a “lucky escape” after fire from unattended candles failed to trigger the fire alarm.
The blaze left the rest of the property badly damaged by heat and smoke.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said: “It is extremely lucky the occupants became aware of the fire, because although they had a smoke alarm fitted in the property it was not in working order.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is have those linked together. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in their property.”
Four fire engines attended the scene at 6:15am and had brought the fire under control by 7:10am.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 5 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 8 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 9 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 10 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
The couple is understood to be recovering in alternative accommodation.