Fire brigade issues warning after cigarette starts Cricklewood blaze
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews have issued a warning to smokers after a cigarette started a blaze in a flat in Cricklewood yesterday evening.
Fire crews have warned smokers to take care after a cigarette started a blaze in a flat in Cricklewood yesterday evening.
The living room of the flat in Rusper Close was destroyed after flames spread from a cigarette left on a bed in the room shortly after 5 pm. Thankfully no one was in the property when the fire broke out.
Fire crews attended with three engines and managed to bring the flames under control by 5.45pm.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said incidents like this are a stark reminder of the importance of putting out cigarettes and said failure to do so could destroy “not only your home, but also your life.”
He added: “Fires caused by smoking materials - including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipe tobacco - result in more deaths than any other type of fire.
“There are around three fires a day in London linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths are related to careless disposal of cigarettes.
- 1 Man in stable condition following collision with a van in Neasden
- 2 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 3 'Security alert' at Willesden Junction causing severe delays on TfL network
- 4 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 5 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 6 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 7 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 8 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 9 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 10 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
“It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”