Fears are raised over the future of Kingsbury Library
Freedom of Information request reveals lease ends in 2013
Fears are rising for the future of a Kingsbury library where the lease runs out in 2013.
Brent Council has already closed six of the borough’s popular reading rooms as a result of having to make millions of pounds of cuts.
But it has now been revealed in a recent Freedom of Information request that the lease on Kingsbury Library Plus is due to run out on September 28, 2013.
Philip Bromberg, who has been campaigning to save Preston Library, in Carlton Avenue East, said: “The council has not denied that Kingsbury Library could close and normally when that happens it doesn’t look good.
You may also want to watch:
“The council has already wasted money on Barham Park and Neasden libraries which were recently refurbished but are now closed.
“Kingsbury Library Plus is also new, so if the council does not renew the lease it would be another great big waste of taxpayers’ money.”
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 5 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 6 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 Man admits killing Kilburn waiter to end his days 'banged up' court hears
- 9 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 10 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
The new Kingsbury Library opened in 2008 and is considered an alternative for people who used Preston Library, which is now closed.
The other libraries closed are Kensal Rise, Neasden, Tokyngton, Barham Park and Cricklewood.
Campaigners are awaiting the outcome of a High Court appeal which challenged the decision to close half of the borough’s libraries.
A council spokesman said: “Kingsbury Library is a popular library in a prime location and the council is currently investigating the renewal of the lease.”