Fantastic Fer strike secures first home victory of 2015 for QPR against Newcastle

Queens Park Rangers' Leroy Fer is congratulated by his team mates after scoring his side's second go

Queens Park Rangers' Leroy Fer is congratulated by his team mates after scoring his side's second goal against Newcastle United at Loftus Road - Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images

QPR picked up their first home win of the year with a 2-1 victory against relegation threatened Newcastle United.

Second half goals from Matt Phillips and Leroy Fer cancelled out Remy Cabella’s first half strike for the vicitors who could be relegated on the final day of the season when they face West Ham United.

With Rangers already planning for life in the Championship, boss Chris Ramsey named four youngsters on the bench and the introduction of Reece Grego-Cox at half time injected some much needed energy into a side that looked short on confidence in the opening 45 minutes.

After a scrappy opening, Remy Cabella started to pull the strings for Newcastle cutting inside from the right he saw his weak shot comfortably dealt with by Rob Green.

Green was then away a dangerous cross from the lively Moussa Sissoko but the Rs back four were horribly exposed moment later when on 24 minutes Emmanuel Riviere was given the freedom of Loftus Road to pick up a long punt forward by goalkeeper Tim Krul before going round Green and dispatching the ball into an empty net.

The opposition continued to dominate and a dangerous break from Sissoko led to clash between Joey Barton and Green which led to the goalkeeper being replaced by Alex McCarthy, in what could turn out to be Green’s final appearance for the club.

Junior Hoilett was replaced by Grego-Cox at half time with the Ireland Under 19 international partnering Charlie Austin in attack.

Most Read

Chris Ramsey also made the Rs third and final change with Suk-Young Yun sent on for Steven Caulker forcing Clint Hill to shift across from left back to the centre of defence alongside Richard Dunne.

Rangers were far quicker out of the blocks with Grego-Cox eager to chase down any ball sent forward.

On 54 minutes the impressive Matt Phillips drew Rangers level getting on the end of Austin’s excellent cross from the right to head beyond Krul.

With the visitors looking to push on, Rangers started to find some joy on the counter attack and moments after Austin hit a tame effort at Krul, Leroy Fer picked the ball up 25-yards from goal to smash home a superb effort to give the home side the lead.

With just over 20 minutes remaining Fer picked out the onrushing Phillips but he failed to keep his shot down.

Newcastle manager John Carver sent on Rolando Aarons, Papiss Cisse and Sammy Ameobi to try and get back into the match but Cisse failed to make the most of the chances that fell his way and Sissoko fired wide after he picked up the ball following a mazy dribble from Ameobi.

Three minutes injury time were added but the Rs held on to record their first victory against Newcastle since February 1995.