Family’s emotional tribute to relatives who died in Neasden house fire
“Whatever I say would never be enough. They were angels”, says devastated uncle
The uncle of five children who were killed in a devastating house fire in Neasden has paid tribute to his “angels”.
Sisters Hanin, 14, Basma, 13, Amal, nine, and their little brothers Mustafa, five, and two-year-old Yehya Kua, died alongside their mother, Muna Elmufatish, 41, after a fire ripped through their home in Sonia Gardens, in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Speaking on behalf of the family, devastated Amer Kawwa, the children’s uncle, said: “They were such innocent, lovely children.
“Whatever I say would never be enough. They were everything you could have wished for.
You may also want to watch:
“They were good at everything. Good at school, well behaved. Everybody has said how lovely they were. They were angels.”
Mr Kawwa’s brother, Bassam, who is the children’s father and husband of Muna, survived thefire. Eldest daughter, Nur, 16, who escaped the inferno by jumping out of a first floor window, is still in a critical condition suffering from severe burns.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 7 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
Mr Kawwa said: “She has improved slightly. She has responded to treatment.
“We are all just hoping she pulls through.No one would wish this to happen to their worst enemy. It’s really a big shock. It’s a disaster.”
Paying tribute to the children’s loving mother, he added: “She brought them up so well with my brother. I’m still in shock. It still has not sank in.”
Investigators believe the fire was started by a chest freezer in the hallway in an incident described by the London Fire Brigade as the worst house fire in the capital for more than a decade.
A post mortem revealed all six died from smoke inhalation. An inquest at Barnet Coroner’s Court has opened and been adjourned until February 16.
Their funerals took place at the Garden of Peace Muslim Cemetery, in Ilford, Essex, on Wednesday.
Mr Kawwa said the family were staying strong and praying for Nur to pull through.
He said: “We have to cope. We have no choice.”