Exhibition of controversial development plans in Willesden Green to go on display
- Credit: Archant
The Queensbury Pub in Walm Lane faces demolition
An exhibition featuring controversial development plans in Willesden Green will take place next week.
Fairview Homes will showcase an updated version of their proposals for a former Conservative Club building in Walm Lane.
The original plans sparked anger with residents after it was revealed in October 2012 that the Queensbury Pub, which is on part of the site, would be demolished to make room for a 10-stroey block of flats.
A campaign was launched which received the backing of a host of known names including Sarah Teather, Lib Dem MP for Brent Central, former Mayor of London and Cricklewood-resident Ken Livingstone and boyband The Wanted.
You may also want to watch:
The pub is also home to two baby and parent groups.
In June this year Fairview Homes withdrew the application which would see the pub demolished but in an email leaked to the Times they indicated retaining the building is not in their revised plans.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 5 Mark Warburton insists QPR on right track despite Bristol City defeat
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 8 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 9 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 10 Wealdstone settle for a draw against Aldershot Town
In place of the pub it suggests a community space such as a café or restaurant in order to accommodate the groups.
Sujata Aurora of the Save The Queensbury group said: “We urge Fairview to go back to the drawing board and devise a scheme which preserves The Queensbury and builds around it, rather than demolishes it.”
The exhibition takes place at St Gabriel’s Church Hall on the corner of Anson road and Chichele Road, Cricklewood, on July 17 and 18 between 3 - 7pm.