EXCLUSIVE: Warnock confident QPR can complete deal for Puncheon
Southampton winger set for a move to west London
Neil Warnock is confident QPR will wrap up a deal for Southampton’s Jason Puncheon in the coming days – and says the versatile winger is ideally suited for the Rs.
Rangers have had a bid accepted for 25-year-old Puncheon, with centre-back Kaspars Gorkss set to move in the opposite direction as part of the deal.
Puncheon, who can play on either wing or just behind the striker, impressed while on loan with Blackpool in the Premier League last campaign, but has not been given a squad number with the Saints this season and favours a return to top-flight football.
Warnock is also set to wrap up a deal for DJ Campbell by the end of this week, and wants to make Puncheon his next signing after missing out on Wayne Routledge, who has agreed terms with fellow Premier League new boys Swansea City.
You may also want to watch:
“We need a wide player, obviously Wayne Routledge looks like joining Swansea, and we’ve been looking at Jason Puncheon,” Warnock told London24. “He’s someone who has done really well, he’s exactly the sort of player I like, he’s pacy and direct, someone with something to prove, a player with a bit of hunger, we need players like that at QPR this season. He’s a player we’ve been looking at, so now we need to see what happens in the next 10 days or so.”
As well as a winger, Warnock added that he is in the market for a defender, with Manchester City’s Nedum Onuoha potentially available on a loan move.
- 1 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 2 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 3 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 4 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 6 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 7 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 8 Vale Farm Sports Centre offering facilities for free from May 17
- 9 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 10 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
“We’re still looking and we have a couple more targets,” added the manager. “I’d say we need another defender, not necessarily a wing-back but certainly a defender to make up the numbers.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes