EXCLUSIVE: Warnock confident QPR can complete deal for Puncheon
Southampton winger set for a move to west London
Neil Warnock is confident QPR will wrap up a deal for Southampton’s Jason Puncheon in the coming days – and says the versatile winger is ideally suited for the Rs.
Rangers have had a bid accepted for 25-year-old Puncheon, with centre-back Kaspars Gorkss set to move in the opposite direction as part of the deal.
Puncheon, who can play on either wing or just behind the striker, impressed while on loan with Blackpool in the Premier League last campaign, but has not been given a squad number with the Saints this season and favours a return to top-flight football.
Warnock is also set to wrap up a deal for DJ Campbell by the end of this week, and wants to make Puncheon his next signing after missing out on Wayne Routledge, who has agreed terms with fellow Premier League new boys Swansea City.
You may also want to watch:
“We need a wide player, obviously Wayne Routledge looks like joining Swansea, and we’ve been looking at Jason Puncheon,” Warnock told London24. “He’s someone who has done really well, he’s exactly the sort of player I like, he’s pacy and direct, someone with something to prove, a player with a bit of hunger, we need players like that at QPR this season. He’s a player we’ve been looking at, so now we need to see what happens in the next 10 days or so.”
As well as a winger, Warnock added that he is in the market for a defender, with Manchester City’s Nedum Onuoha potentially available on a loan move.
- 1 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 2 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 3 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 4 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 5 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 6 Wembley Football League supported by Raheem Sterling sees drama on finals day
- 7 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 8 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 9 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 10 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
“We’re still looking and we have a couple more targets,” added the manager. “I’d say we need another defender, not necessarily a wing-back but certainly a defender to make up the numbers.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes