Evil paedophile jailed for 12 years
AN EVIL paedophile who molested two siblings while their mother was seriously ill in hospital has been jailed for 12 years. Stephen Pettican, 54, preyed on the 10-year-old boy and his seven-year-old sister between 1978 and 1981 when he lived in Brent.
AN EVIL paedophile who molested two siblings while their mother was seriously ill in hospital has been jailed for 12 years.
Stephen Pettican, 54, preyed on the 10-year-old boy and his seven-year-old sister between 1978 and 1981 when he lived in Brent.
Inner London Crown Court heard the former milkman crept into the youngsters' bedrooms to carry out his sick fantasies, and even told one of his victims that their mother would become more ill if they 'misbehaved.' The pair's torment finally came to an end when their mother was discharged from hospital and she came home.
The traumatised victims finally reported Pettican to the police in 2007 after fearing he would strike again.
You may also want to watch:
Pettican, who by then had moved to Cornwall and started a family, denied he had interfered with them claiming they had made up their claims as part of a dispute.
Pettican denied eight sample charges of indecent assault, four of indecency with a child and four of buggery relating to the boy.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Labour wins Brondesbury Park in tightly contested by-election
He further denied three indecent assault charges and indecency with a child relating to the sister.
He was convicted of six of the assault charges and cleared of two, found guilty of three of indecency and cleared of one, and convicted of three buggery counts and cleared of one relating to the boy.
He was convicted of all the counts he faced relating to the girl.
Det Sgt Debbie Moore of the Child Abuse Investigation Team, said: "Stephen Pettican abused these two children who trusted him at a time they were vulnerable due to their mother's illness.
"He subjected them to systematic sexual abuse over a period of four years which left them traumatised, the effects of which they are still learning to live with to this day.
"I would like to thank them for having the courage to come forward with the information that has enabled Pettican to be convicted, and I would encourage anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault to report it to police, however long ago it happened."
Pettican has also been banned from working, living or having contact with children and has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.