England’s Raheem Sterling backs Brent’s bid for London Borough of Culture 2020
- Credit: Archant
Manchester City and England star Raheem Sterling is the latest celebrity to back Brent’s bid for London Borough of Culture 2020.
The national football midfielder, who grew up on the St Raphael’s Estate, Neasden, has endorsed the borough with a tribute to the Wembley Stadium.
He said: “Probably the most iconic thing you could see in your lifetime was seeing the stadium getting built from scratch. To this day I still look back at that, and when I’m on the team coach to the stadium these flashbacks always happen.”
The 22-year-old added: “It’s great to see how the area is really developing and how culture is such a massive part of the community.”
Raheem’s support comes as Brent gears up to submit its culture bid on December 1.
More than 20 London boroughs are competing to win over £1m of funding to deliver a programme of cultural events. The result will be revealed in February.
- 1 Man in stable condition following collision with a van in Neasden
- 2 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 3 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 4 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 5 'Security alert' at Willesden Junction causing severe delays on TfL network
- 6 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 7 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 8 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 9 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 10 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee