End of a 'Rocky' road
By Lorraine King A maverick campaigner has lost his 18-month battle with cancer at the age of 45. Rocky Fernandez, of Hazel Road, Kensal Green, was a colourful character who crusaded tirelessly across the borough. Among his victories was the rem
By Lorraine King
A maverick political campaigner has lost his 18-month battle with cancer at the age of 45.
Rocky Fernandez, of Hazel Road, Kensal Green, was a colourful character who crusaded tirelessly across the borough.
Among his victories was the removal of two billboard advertising Guy Ritchie's 'gun-glamorising' movie, Revolver, on Harrow Road, Kensal Green, after Mr Fernandez highlighted they were placed on the same route as the annual Not Another Drop peace march.
You may also want to watch:
But, Mr Fernandez was also embroiled in several controversial episodes including his one-man protest against the Liberal Democrats which saw him confront Sir Menzies Campbell, the party's leader at the time, as he toured the borough.
Mr Fernandez's heartbroken sister Maddy told the Times his biggest loves were singer Shirley Bassey and fighting injustices.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 6 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 7 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Labour wins Brondesbury Park in tightly contested by-election
She said: "Rocky was funny, intelligent, and bossy. He could be difficult but he was a very generous man who really had a good heart.2
The funeral for Mr Fernandez will take place on Tuesday at 11am at St Mary Magdalen's Church on Peter Avenue, Willesden.