End of a 'Rocky' road
By Lorraine King A maverick campaigner has lost his 18-month battle with cancer at the age of 45. Rocky Fernandez, of Hazel Road, Kensal Green, was a colourful character who crusaded tirelessly across the borough. Among his victories was the rem
By Lorraine King
A maverick political campaigner has lost his 18-month battle with cancer at the age of 45.
Rocky Fernandez, of Hazel Road, Kensal Green, was a colourful character who crusaded tirelessly across the borough.
Among his victories was the removal of two billboard advertising Guy Ritchie's 'gun-glamorising' movie, Revolver, on Harrow Road, Kensal Green, after Mr Fernandez highlighted they were placed on the same route as the annual Not Another Drop peace march.
You may also want to watch:
But, Mr Fernandez was also embroiled in several controversial episodes including his one-man protest against the Liberal Democrats which saw him confront Sir Menzies Campbell, the party's leader at the time, as he toured the borough.
Mr Fernandez's heartbroken sister Maddy told the Times his biggest loves were singer Shirley Bassey and fighting injustices.
- 1 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 2 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 3 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 4 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 5 Neasden businessman left in lurch by HSBC loan programme
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'savoured' his side's penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 7 Crowds flock to Queen's Park Book Festival 2021
- 8 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 9 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 10 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
She said: "Rocky was funny, intelligent, and bossy. He could be difficult but he was a very generous man who really had a good heart.2
The funeral for Mr Fernandez will take place on Tuesday at 11am at St Mary Magdalen's Church on Peter Avenue, Willesden.