Secretary of State for Education approves funding for free school in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
The Secretary of State for Education has approved funding for a free school which will open its doors in Wembley this September.
Michaela Community School at Arena House in North End Road, will now be able to offer places to 120 year seven children on Monday - secondary allocation day following the news from Michael Gove.
A waiting list for the mixed non-denominational school, which has recruited its teaching staff, will also open on the same day.
Katharine Birbalsingh, the school’s head teacher, previously told the Times: “Our education will be academically rigorous. We will expect our pupils to be polite and obedient. We will encourage competition and allow our pupils to win and lose. We believe that knowledge about the world is central to our pupils’ success. Only when they have acquired that knowledge will they be ready to lead and participate as full citizens.”
The school, which was originally to open in South London but was twice rejected, had faced opposition from Wembley residents and parents and teaching unions due to the high number of secondary schools in the area.
You may also want to watch:
There were also concerns over the suitability of the building which had formerly been used by the College of North West London.
For more information about the school visit here.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat