Secretary of State for Education approves funding for free school in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
The Secretary of State for Education has approved funding for a free school which will open its doors in Wembley this September.
Michaela Community School at Arena House in North End Road, will now be able to offer places to 120 year seven children on Monday - secondary allocation day following the news from Michael Gove.
A waiting list for the mixed non-denominational school, which has recruited its teaching staff, will also open on the same day.
Katharine Birbalsingh, the school’s head teacher, previously told the Times: “Our education will be academically rigorous. We will expect our pupils to be polite and obedient. We will encourage competition and allow our pupils to win and lose. We believe that knowledge about the world is central to our pupils’ success. Only when they have acquired that knowledge will they be ready to lead and participate as full citizens.”
The school, which was originally to open in South London but was twice rejected, had faced opposition from Wembley residents and parents and teaching unions due to the high number of secondary schools in the area.
You may also want to watch:
There were also concerns over the suitability of the building which had formerly been used by the College of North West London.
For more information about the school visit here.
- 1 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 2 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 3 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 4 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 5 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 6 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 9 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 10 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai