School of the year award for secondary in Cricklewood
- Credit: Archant
A secondary school in Cricklewood has won a prestigious award for its development of children’s communication skills.
Hampstead School in Westbere Road, has been named secondary school of the year at the national Shine A Light Awards.
The school was praised for teaching its pupils and staff how to speak and listen effectively in the classroom.
Since 2009, the school has worked closely with Camden Council’s speech and language therapy team, and all year seven pupils receive a “listening lesson” where teachers observe children and give feedback to the school’s special educational needs team.
The school also runs award schemes, where pupils are encouraged to use their speaking and listening skills to earn “star of the hour” and “speaking and listening stars”, with teachers awarding pupils at the end of each lesson.
A study found that 118 pupils out of 178 improved their speaking and listening skills and became more engaged in the classroom as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Jacques Szemalikowski, Hampstead School headteacher, said: “I am delighted that our pioneering work in communications skills has been recognised.
“At Hampstead School we are determined that when learners achieve the qualifications to get them an interview, their ability to communicate with others secures the position”.
- 1 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 2 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 3 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 4 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 5 Neasden businessman left in lurch by HSBC loan programme
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'savoured' his side's penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 7 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 8 Crowds flock to Queen's Park Book Festival 2021
- 9 QPR pull off upset with penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 10 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill