School of the year award for secondary in Cricklewood
- Credit: Archant
A secondary school in Cricklewood has won a prestigious award for its development of children’s communication skills.
Hampstead School in Westbere Road, has been named secondary school of the year at the national Shine A Light Awards.
The school was praised for teaching its pupils and staff how to speak and listen effectively in the classroom.
Since 2009, the school has worked closely with Camden Council’s speech and language therapy team, and all year seven pupils receive a “listening lesson” where teachers observe children and give feedback to the school’s special educational needs team.
The school also runs award schemes, where pupils are encouraged to use their speaking and listening skills to earn “star of the hour” and “speaking and listening stars”, with teachers awarding pupils at the end of each lesson.
A study found that 118 pupils out of 178 improved their speaking and listening skills and became more engaged in the classroom as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Jacques Szemalikowski, Hampstead School headteacher, said: “I am delighted that our pioneering work in communications skills has been recognised.
“At Hampstead School we are determined that when learners achieve the qualifications to get them an interview, their ability to communicate with others secures the position”.
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 3 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 4 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 7 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 10 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai