Councillors reject Wembley French school’s bid to build basement swimming pool again
- Credit: Archant
An independent French school’s bid to build a five-lane basement swimming pool in its grounds has been rejected for a second time.
Brent councillors put a plug in plans submitted by the Wembley Educational Charitable Trust (WECT), on behalf of The Lycee International de Londres Winston Churchill, in Forty Lane, Wembley, at a planning meeting yesterday.
Concerns were raised about the design and height of the new complex, which would have a basement swimming pool and above-ground studio. Another objection was that the development would block the view from the road of the Grade-II listed school building, formerly Brent Council’s Town Hall.
Last month, a planning committee “overwhelmingly” rejected the planning application against the advice of council officers.
It was brought before them again at Brent Civic Centre yesterday when council officers asked them to reconsider their December decision. But the proposal was rejected once again.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sarah Marquis, chair of the committee, said councillors supported the idea in principle but added: “The application has been refused on the basis of concerns about the citing, height and design of the building and the impact on the setting.”
The Lycee and WECT have been contacted for a comment.
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 3 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 4 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 7 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 10 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park