Pupils from the Village School and the College of North West London create a film together
- Credit: Archant
A group of disabled and abled-bodied children from a school and a college in Brent have joined forces to make a film.
Pupils from the Village School in Grove Park, Kingsbury and the College of North West London (CNWL) in Dudden Hill Lane, Willesden, produced their own animated film.
It was screened on Friday in CNWL’s cafeteria space.
The project, organised by arts charity Create, offered the young students six full days of workshops throughout January exploring the themes of relationships and love.
The charity found one fifth of 18–34 year olds admit to avoiding disabled people because they are unsure of how to communicate with them. Over the past year, it has brought together 351 young people with disabilities with 152 non-disabled young people.
You may also want to watch:
Create’s creative:connection programme uses the creative arts to bring together these young people to develop relationships, foster shared understanding and strengthen self-esteem.
Nicky Goulder, co-founder and chief executive of Create, said: “Participating in creative activities is a great way of improving communication and self-confidence, and helps people to broaden their horizons, seeing the world from another’s perspective. It has been fantastic to see these young people coming together, working creatively, and seeing new friendships forming in the process. Enabling these young people to diversify their social groups will help to create a fairer, more caring, more inclusive society.”
- 1 Loaded shotgun seized in Harlesden as police crack down on gang activity
- 2 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 3 Vigil held in Barn Hill for murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman
- 4 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 5 Childhood friends launch their first Their Story Film Festival in Kilburn
- 6 Missing 12-year-old boy from Kilburn found 'safe and well'
- 7 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 8 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 9 Residents oppose plans for a third slot machine 'casino' in Harlesden
- 10 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants