Primary school in Brent scoops excellence transport award
- Credit: Archant
A primary school in Brent has taken a road to victory by scooping an excellence award for its use of public transport and being the only one in the borough to do so.
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Primary School, on Wesley Road, Stonebridge, travelled to City Hall as part of Transport For London’s (TfL) STARS (Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe) schools initiative last Tuesday .
It was one of the 13 highest performing schools out of thousands in the capital who were invited to attend the TFL event.
Pupils were presented with the School of Excellence – Public Transport award which recognised the school’s achievements in reducing car use, increasing walking and cycling and using public transport more responsibly amongst their pupils.
Out of 25 school trips last year, the school only used four coaches, opting to use public transport.
You may also want to watch:
Anna Thompson, assistant headteacher, said: “The whole school community, staff, pupils and parents all worked together on this initiative so that we, as a school, could make travelling healthier and more enjoyable for our children. We are incredibly proud of our JTAs (Junior travel ambassadors) and all of the hard work they put in to this project.’
Leon Daniels, Managing Director of TfL Surface Transport, said: “We hope that by celebrating their achievements we will encourage all London children to travel safely, actively and responsibly to school.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
- 6 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 7 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 8 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 9 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
Tfl’s STARS programme was launched in 2007 to encourage children, parents and teachers to adopt more sustainable and safe ways of travelling to school.