Harlesden school to host event to raise funds for children in Beirut
- Credit: Newman Catholic College
A Harlesden school is hosting an event to raise funds for an education programme for children in Beirut.
On September 30, Newman Catholic College will host presentations from headteacher Daniel Coyle and The Constantinian Charitable Trust chairman Ian Linden.
The trust is working with a network of London schools to support an afterschool education programme based in the Lebanese capital.
The project aims to create a three-year higher education vocational and technical training programme. It is a part of a two-year fundraising drive to help displaced Syrian child refugees and disadvantaged Lebanese students.
Linden said: “The trust works in partnership with [organisation] Caritas Lebanon to improve the academic performance and retention of Lebanese and refugee children in Beirut at risk of dropping out of school.
“We are inviting our community to come and learn about our network of London schools which will be taking part in this after school programme.“
The programme will be based at the Dekwaneh Centre, South East Beirut, and the Ain El-Remmaneh Centre, South Beirut.
- 1 Flats approved for Brondesbury Park
- 2 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 3 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 4 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 5 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 6 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 7 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 8 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 9 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 10 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
Newman Catholic College is among a handful of schools nationwide recognised as a school of sanctuary for refugees by the charity City of Sanctuary UK. It is also a UNICEF Rights Respecting school.
The fundraising event will also include a live video link-up to Beirut with Reverend Michel Abboud, President of Caritas Lebanon and former Programme Manager at Caritas Lebanon and Consultant to TCCT Myrna Chamieh.
It will take place between 6.30pm and 7.30pm, and more information can be found here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.