Library campaigners in Wembley celebrate Lord Tennyson’s birthday
- Credit: Archant
Members of Preston Community Library in Carlton Avenue East celebrated the 206th birthday of the much loved poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
Cllr Michael Pavey, deputy leader of Brent Council who hails from Lincolnshire, the poet’s birthplace, attended the celebration on Monday.
Following the reading of the famous and well loved “The Lady of Shalott” the library community made a dramatic enactment and reading of Tennyson’s tragic and beloved poem “The Charge of the Light Brigade” with residents from Preston Lodge Retirement Home.
Conversations about the futility of war followed the reading of the anti-war poem over a feast of specially commissioned Lincolnshire sausages.
The event was rounded off with songs from the Preston Library community choir.
You may also want to watch:
Geraldine Cooke, literary agent and library campaigner said: “The whole event was a testament to the power of reading aloud in the community to draw people together for entertainment, education and companionship regardless of age or ability.
“Preston Community Library events have made a feature of reading entire works aloud in marathon sessions, not only poetry but whole novels, such as Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’, and George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’. We have found it is possible for adults and children to work together in this way, which is refreshing and delightful.”
- 1 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 2 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 3 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 6 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 7 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 8 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 9 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 10 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies