Library campaigners in Wembley celebrate Lord Tennyson’s birthday
- Credit: Archant
Members of Preston Community Library in Carlton Avenue East celebrated the 206th birthday of the much loved poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
Cllr Michael Pavey, deputy leader of Brent Council who hails from Lincolnshire, the poet’s birthplace, attended the celebration on Monday.
Following the reading of the famous and well loved “The Lady of Shalott” the library community made a dramatic enactment and reading of Tennyson’s tragic and beloved poem “The Charge of the Light Brigade” with residents from Preston Lodge Retirement Home.
Conversations about the futility of war followed the reading of the anti-war poem over a feast of specially commissioned Lincolnshire sausages.
The event was rounded off with songs from the Preston Library community choir.
You may also want to watch:
Geraldine Cooke, literary agent and library campaigner said: “The whole event was a testament to the power of reading aloud in the community to draw people together for entertainment, education and companionship regardless of age or ability.
“Preston Community Library events have made a feature of reading entire works aloud in marathon sessions, not only poetry but whole novels, such as Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’, and George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’. We have found it is possible for adults and children to work together in this way, which is refreshing and delightful.”
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 6 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 9 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield