Leopold Primary School: First day of strike action called off
- Credit: Archant
Strike action tomorrow at a troubled Harlesden primary school has been cancelled, the teachers’ union has confirmed.
Staff were due to down tools at Leopold Primary School until Thursday after a balloted vote by National Education Union (NEU) members.
It came after the outgoing head Audrey Kendall was accused of “bullying and harassment” of her workers – an allegation she declined to comment on.
But day one of the strike has been called off.
Phil Pardoe, regional officer at the NEU, said: “We are currently in negotiation with the London Borough of Brent, which we hope to have concluded satifactorily this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
“In the meantime we have suspended action for tomorrow.
“If we cannot reach a satisfatory agreement today then we will take strike action on Wednesday and Thursday.”
- 1 Vigil held in Barn Hill for murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman
- 2 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 3 Missing 12-year-old boy from Kilburn found 'safe and well'
- 4 Childhood friends launch their first Their Story Film Festival in Kilburn
- 5 QPR boss Warburton excited for competitive football to return with fans
- 6 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 7 Loaded shotgun seized in Harlesden as police crack down on gang activity
- 8 'Brave new streets of London' – photo collection captures a city under Covid
- 9 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 10 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
The school, which has two sites in Hawkshead Road and Brentfield Road, has 801 pupils, according to its website.
As previously reported in the Times, the union – formally the National Union of Teachers – said in a statement 13 staff had submitted formal grievances against the head Audrey Kendall in October.
An independent investigator was appointed by the then chair of governors to look into the allegations.
According to the NEU, the investigator’s report was submitted to council officers and the school’s governing body in December.
Since then it’s claimed that the staff who made the complaints have been subject to disciplinary allegations.
According to the NEU, the investigator’s report was submitted to council officers and the school’s governing body in December which has still not been released.
The NEU said: “Several of [the staff who have submitted grievances] have been subject to disciplinary allegations, at the instigation of the headteacher.”
Ms Kendall announced her retirement, set for March 29, days later.
Brent Council has ignored repeated requests for comment in the wake of the union’s statement and the parents’ meeting, to which it did not send a representative.
Police were called to a parents’ protest at the school’s Hawkshead Road site on Wednesday last week.