Kenton secondary school’s green credentials flies the flag for Brent
St Gregory’s Catholic Science College is given the Eco Schools Green Flag Award
A Kenton secondary school is flying the flag for the borough by becoming the first in Brent to achieve a prestigious green award.
St Gregory’s Catholic Science College in Donnington Road, is just one of five secondary state schools in London to be given the Eco Schools Green Flag Award.
In order to achieve the award, St Gregory’s had to achieve the Bronze and Silver Awards and show that they have accomplished significant and sustained impact in their school across a number of eco criteria such as minimising litter and waste, saving energy and embedding the ethos of “reduce, reuse, recycle” across its curriculum.
In addition, schools have to show major progress in one project area, which for St Gregory’s is their eco garden.
You may also want to watch:
On October 15, an Eco Schools assessor visited and was so impressed with pupils and staff that they were informed the following day that they had passed.
Andrew Prindiville, St Gregory’s headteacher, said: “Our whole school community is absolutely delighted to have achieved this award, which reflects the sustained hard work, commitment and support from pupils, staff and governors combined.
- 1 Vigil held in Barn Hill for murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman
- 2 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 3 Missing 12-year-old boy from Kilburn found 'safe and well'
- 4 Childhood friends launch their first Their Story Film Festival in Kilburn
- 5 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 6 QPR boss Warburton excited for competitive football to return with fans
- 7 Loaded shotgun seized in Harlesden as police crack down on gang activity
- 8 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 9 'Brave new streets of London' – photo collection captures a city under Covid
- 10 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
“Our most immediate challenge now is to decide where to site the flag pole which will fly our Eco Schools Green Flag.”