Jay Sean receives Asian Music Award at Wembley Hilton
Eastenders actress Preeya Kalidas and BAFTA winning actor Adam Deacon among stars celebrating Jay’s work
The top stars of the UK Asian music scene descended upon Wembley last night to pay tribute to the work of R&B star Jay Sean.
The Hilton Hotel in Wembley was the location for the Lebara Mobile Asian Music Awards’ Evening which celebrated 10 years in the music industry for Jay.
The star – famed for the USA number one hit ‘Down’ - joined revelers at the hotel in Lakeside Way as he made a fleeting visit to the UK to pick up his ‘British Artist of the Decade’ award before having to fly off to entertain fans abroad.
Upon being given the award, Jay took part in a Q&A – hosted by BBC Asian Network’s Tommy Sandhu – and was later presented with the ‘British Artist of the Decade’ award by Richard Robertson, managing director of Lebara Mobile.
Jay said: “I am truly honoured to receive this award. I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for some of my family and friends who are in the room tonight, so to receive it in front of them is really special.
“I want to say a big thank you to the Asian Music Awards for this memorable evening and for all their support over the years. And finally a big congratulations for 10 years of the Asian Music Awards.”
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Report shows how much councils spend on electric vehicle chargers
- 10 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
Mr Robertson, said: “This is a significant event for Lebara, not least as we have also recently celebrated our 10th anniversary.
“Celebrating 10 years of the Asian Music Awards with an artist who has won 15 awards over the last decade is a fantastic achievement.
“Jay Sean is a tremendous artist with a great personality, he has reached many milestones with his global achievements and he can now add this special award to the many AMAs he has already won.”
Other guests at swanky party included Eastenders actress and singer Preeya Kalidas, BAFTA award winning actor Adam Deacon, ‘Bend It Like Beckham’ actor Ameet Chana, Punjabi singers Juggy D and H-Dhami and rising British Asian stars such as Shide Boss and Arjun.
The Lebara Mobile Asian Music Awards celebrate their 10th Anniversary on October 25 at Wembley Arena.
Voting for all categories is open to the public at www.theukama.com and will close on Sunday October 14.