Harlesden boy offered two secondary schools places in Brent Council blunder
- Credit: Archant
Bungling council chiefs have come under fire from an angry mother after her son was offered a place at two different secondary schools.
Anita Whittaker from Harlesden, was told in an email that her son Kaliyl had secured a place at nearby Newman Catholic College yesterday.
Hundreds and thousands of anxious parents found out what school their children would go to as it was National Admissions day.
However, the mother-of-four received a letter this morning stating the 11-year-old had been offered a place at Copland Community School in Wembley.
In a further twist, she had not applied for her son to go to neither of the two schools opting for Queens Park Community School as her first choice and Ark Academy as her second.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “This is a pretty big mess up and makes a joke out of the whole admissions process.
“I wonder how many other families have been impacted by this mistake. “It is hugely upsetting because I did not apply for those schools
- 1 Brent Council writes off nearly £2m owed in bad debts
- 2 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 3 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 4 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 5 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 6 Kilburn welcomes back eager gym-goers
- 7 Prospect House eviction: Families struggle to move out
- 8 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 9 Kilburn High Road traders see a slow return to business on April 12
- 10 We didn't stand up insists QPR boss Warburton in Rotherham defeat
“They’ve messed up so badly. Does this mean that I could have had a place in a school I wanted initially?”
When Mrs Whittaker called the council the person on the line said they were ‘baffled’ and has launched an investigation into how it happened.
This is not the first time she has been let down by the admissions board, having endured a similar “nightmare” in securing a primary school place for her five-year-old son Alexander.
She said: “I feel like it is another botch up. Not only have they done it with Alexander, they’ve done the same to Kaliyl.
“I no longer have faith in school admissions procedures as it stands.”
Mrs Whittaker is now forced to endure a further wait to find out what school her son will attend.
Cllr Michael Pavey, Brent council’s lead member for children and families, told the Times situation was unfortunate and he will personally look into the matter.
He added: “We want every child in Brent to get a high quality school place.
“Where mistakes are made, we will do our best to solve them as soon as possible.”
Are you a parent whose child has not been allocated a place at a secondary school in Brent please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7433 6244.