Gateway Academy free school pulls out of opening in Brent
- Credit: Archant
A free school that put back its opening date in Brent by a year has now pulled out of the borough altogether.
The Gateway Academy has binned plans to open in Brent after it failed to find a site in time to open this September.
The school, for students aged 11 to 18, also failed to find a site last year leaving it unable to open in time for the start of the autumn term.
Announcing the news on the school’s website, Johnny Kyriacou, Gateway’s principal, said that they would not be opening in Brent as they were unlikely to secure a site in the future.
He added: “There are a number of challenges to securing a building in Brent and that includes rising land prices and competition against developers for all available land, which means the DfE are not able to compete financially.
“That is not to say it is impossible but it seems very unlikely.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to offer my thanks to all those parents and members of the local community who supported us and were looking forward to the opening of our school.
“I wish you and your children all the best for the future. You really do deserve the best.”
- 1 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 2 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 3 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 4 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 5 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 6 MP Dawn Butler: Support available to get through lockdown
- 7 Dozens 'found breaching Covid restrictions' at shisha cafe
- 8 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 9 'We need you to stay at home' - Northwick Park Hospital
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
Last week another free school announced they would not be opening in Brent in September for the second year in a row.
Gladstone School were also unable to secure a site in the borough despite earmarking a plot in Neasden.