Free school bid made for children living in Brent, Camden and Westminster
- Credit: Archant
A free school for children living in Brent, Camden and Westminster has submitted their bid to open in September next year to education chiefs.
The West Hampstead International School (WHIS) promises to deliver a rounded and rigorous education, with specialisms in languages and music to pupils aged between four and 18.
The school’s founders say its curriculum has been developed with the support of schools in Hertfordshire such as Dame Alice Owen’s, Watford Boys’ Grammar and Watford Girls’ Grammar.
The school will also offer one-to-one mentoring for every pupil as part of its pastoral services.
In January WHIS made an appeal for 1,000 signatories from parents of children aged seven to nine, or under the age of two, to help it gain government approval.
Last week, four mothers delivered a 2,000-signature petition with the proposals to the Department of Education.
Clare Craig from WHIS said: “As a group we have put in an enormous amount of work in to preparing our application over the last 12 months. It is clear from our engagement with local families and the community more broadly that WHIS is both wanted and needed.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 3 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 4 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 10 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
“With nearly 2,000 children signed up, the local support has been overwhelming. We will serve a diverse catchment area and the children signed up speak 62 different languages other than English.
“We very much hope that our application will be approved by the Department for Education.”
If WHIS’ bid is successful it will open in September 2015.
For more details about the school visit http://www.westhampsteadinternational.org.