Education Minister David Laws MP praises Wembley High School for its GCSE results
- Credit: Trevor Smith
A secondary school in Wembley has been praised by the Education Minister after being placed in the country’s top 100 performers in GCSEs.
Wembley High Technology College in East Lane, received a congratulatory letter from MP David Laws after boasting one of the highest percentage of students achieving A*-C GCSE grades in state schools nationally.
The school has also been placed in the top 108 overall performing state-funded in the country through its progress with pupil premium pupils (disadvantaged students).
It has consistently improved its GCSE results between 2011 to 2013 making it the only school in the country to have achieved all three.
In the letter sent to Harjagbir Bal, the school’s headteacher, Mr Laws says: “You and your staff have provided the 2013 year 11 cohort with a great start in adult life and a strong springboard into the next stage of their education, and the world of work.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to congratulate your staff, governors and pupils for their hard work and success. My thanks also to you personally and your leadership team in continuing the drive towards the highest standards of educational achievement.”
Cllr Michael Pavey, Brent Council’s lead member for children and families, said: “This is an outstanding achievement by Wembley High, and I’m so pleased and proud for the entire school community for this wonderful recognition.”
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 3 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 7 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 10 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
This commendation is the latest in the string of positive news for the school.
Last month Ms Bal was awarded an OBE for her services to education in the New Years Honour list.