Controversial school expansion plans in Wembley pass first hurdle
- Credit: Archant
Plans to supersize a primary school in Wembley to take in more than 1,000 pupils are on track despite overwhelming objections from the local community.
Byron Primary School in Spencer Road is going to planning officers who will decide whether to increase the number of pupils to 1,050 after Brent Council’s cabinet members met this weeky and passed the motion.
If the plans go ahead the school will be one of the largest in the country.
Barry Gardiner MP for Brent North sent a strongly worded letter to Cllr Muhammed Butt, leader of the council, warning him the “proposal will be detrimental to the local community and may actually undermine to the quality of the excellent teaching and learning that the current staff and leadership have created at Byron Court.”
Suzanne D’Souza, chair of the Sudbury Court Residents Association, said: “The council is going against objections from all parties - parents, residents, Councillors, and even our local MP.
You may also want to watch:
“More than 90 per cent of the responses were to object. Objections were received on all grounds including education, environment, traffic, health and safety and air pollution. Is this a democratic process?”
Karen Jones, who lives on Spencer Road, called the meeting a “farce”.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 9 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 10 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
She said: “Parents talked about a drop in standards and were completely ignored. Members of the cabinet were not even properly listening. It was obvious that they had already made up their mind.”
The school currently has around 600 pupils which will surge to 1050 if the expansion from a three form entry into five goes ahead. There are already “bulge” classes in year two, to which 60 children have been admitted and the plan is to add these extensions to other classes on an annual basis.
Cllr Joshua Murray, a former pupil of Byron Court who now represents the Labour ward of Northwick Park, said: “If the environment is going to be poisonous I don’t want it to go through but if residents are happy with the expansion I don’t see why it shouldn’t go through.”
Cllr Keith Perrin, from Northwick Park ward, added: “As much as I think it was a wrong decision I think it was one they had to make because they have to provide school places. It will go to planning next and we’ll try to stop it there.”