Community award for headteacher of outstanding school in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
The headteacher of an outstanding secondary school in Kilburn has won an award for his dedication to an initiative that teams up disadvantage pupils with local businesses.
Eugene Moriarty, headteacher of St Augustine’s Church of England High School in Kilburn Park Road, scooped the community champion category at the Business in the Community’s London Awards.
He was recognised for his commitment to launching Business Class Programme, a national initiative that engages businesses to support young people facing social disadvantages by forming long-term partnerships with schools.
Abdel Ydri, the school’s work related learning manager, said: “Leading by example, Mr Moriaty attends most of the business class events and ensures that the achievements of the programme are reported back to the school’s governing Body.
“His wholehearted endorsement of the programme ensures that everyone involved in the school from staff, parents to the local authority and other educational organisations are aware of its significant benefits.
You may also want to watch:
“In addition, he has made sure the Business Class Programme was clearly highlighted in the school’s self evaluation Form for Ofsted last year which resulted in the school attaining an ‘Outstanding’ rating.”
Stephen Howard, chief executive of Business in the Community, said: “Responsible business practices start in our local communities but often schools, organisations and individuals are ‘unsung heroes’ and their significant and valuable contributions rarely get the attention they deserve.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
“These awards are our chance to redress this imbalance.”