Charity plan to open a free school in Harlesden
- Credit: Archant
An education charity has submitted plans to open a free school in Harlesden next year.
One Degree proposes to set up a site for 840 pupils if they are given the green light from the Department for Education.
Catering for pupils age four to 18, the One Degree Academy will offer a mixture of traditional teaching and IT facilities to deliver the global minded Cambridge Curriculum, which is claimed to be the ‘gold standard’ in education.
The charity, which is made up of teachers, education specialists and business people, offers low performers personalised support and inspirational role models.
It currently provides mentoring to GCSE students in Brent.
Riaz Shah, chairman of the One Degree Academy said: “We are delighted to be making this application to the Department for Education for a new school for Brent.
“We have been working with the local community for the past 12 months, in addition to the five years our charity has been a part of Brent, and we have been overwhelmed with the level of local support.
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 8 Report shows how much councils spend on electric vehicle chargers
- 9 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 10 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
“To date 916 families in Brent have already come forward to support our proposal. We hope to have some positive news to share with them soon.
“We are still very keen to hear from interested parents and students as the greater support we can show the better.”
For more information or to register an interest visit onedegreeacademy.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.