Brent schoolgirl nominated for achievement award
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from Park Royal has been shortlisted for an achievement award for her talent in performing arts.
Africa Blagrove, from Twyford Abbey Road, was nominated by her class teacher for the Dr John Roberts CBE QC Achievement Award for young African and Caribbean students.
The 11-year-old said: “I’m really surprised. I’m so excited, it’s breathtaking. I found out last month but I had to keep it a secret, I’m not sure why. My teacher said she nominated me because of my performing arts because I do a lot outside school.”
Africa is part of the Tricycle Young Company at the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn Road, recently performing in their production of the comedy Gargantua.
She sparked international interest with her book, Harry the Hedgehog, when it was published two years ago, but said she hasn’t found the time to write anymore.
The awards evening is organised by the Descendants charity, an African and Caribbean community youth organisation based in Acton, now in its 19th year.
The Achievement awards Ceremony was re-named after Descendants patron Dr John Roberts CBE QC, the first black Q.C in England. The Awards have grown, with hundreds of children and young people being nominated by their teachers and by Educationalist.
- 1 A Level results 2022: Brent schools as they come in
- 2 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 3 ‘A Windrush Lioness’: Tributes paid to Harlesden resident Lera Clarke
- 4 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 5 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 6 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 7 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 8 Brent Liberal Democrats call for faster monkeypox vaccine roll-out
- 9 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
Harlesden based group Sakyi Five, semi finalists of Britain’s Got Talent, will provide entertainment at the gala dinner in Ealing on Friday evening.