Brent schoolgirl nominated for achievement award
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from Park Royal has been shortlisted for an achievement award for her talent in performing arts.
Africa Blagrove, from Twyford Abbey Road, was nominated by her class teacher for the Dr John Roberts CBE QC Achievement Award for young African and Caribbean students.
The 11-year-old said: “I’m really surprised. I’m so excited, it’s breathtaking. I found out last month but I had to keep it a secret, I’m not sure why. My teacher said she nominated me because of my performing arts because I do a lot outside school.”
Africa is part of the Tricycle Young Company at the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn Road, recently performing in their production of the comedy Gargantua.
She sparked international interest with her book, Harry the Hedgehog, when it was published two years ago, but said she hasn’t found the time to write anymore.
You may also want to watch:
The awards evening is organised by the Descendants charity, an African and Caribbean community youth organisation based in Acton, now in its 19th year.
The Achievement awards Ceremony was re-named after Descendants patron Dr John Roberts CBE QC, the first black Q.C in England. The Awards have grown, with hundreds of children and young people being nominated by their teachers and by Educationalist.
- 1 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 2 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Pictures: Snow arrives covering Gladstone Park and Neasden Temple
- 6 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 7 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 8 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 9 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 10 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
Harlesden based group Sakyi Five, semi finalists of Britain’s Got Talent, will provide entertainment at the gala dinner in Ealing on Friday evening.