Brent schoolgirl nominated for achievement award
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from Park Royal has been shortlisted for an achievement award for her talent in performing arts.
Africa Blagrove, from Twyford Abbey Road, was nominated by her class teacher for the Dr John Roberts CBE QC Achievement Award for young African and Caribbean students.
The 11-year-old said: “I’m really surprised. I’m so excited, it’s breathtaking. I found out last month but I had to keep it a secret, I’m not sure why. My teacher said she nominated me because of my performing arts because I do a lot outside school.”
Africa is part of the Tricycle Young Company at the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn Road, recently performing in their production of the comedy Gargantua.
She sparked international interest with her book, Harry the Hedgehog, when it was published two years ago, but said she hasn’t found the time to write anymore.
You may also want to watch:
The awards evening is organised by the Descendants charity, an African and Caribbean community youth organisation based in Acton, now in its 19th year.
The Achievement awards Ceremony was re-named after Descendants patron Dr John Roberts CBE QC, the first black Q.C in England. The Awards have grown, with hundreds of children and young people being nominated by their teachers and by Educationalist.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 New QPR signing Stefan Johansen wants to push for promotion
- 3 Stefan Johansen completes QPR switch from Fulham
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 10 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
Harlesden based group Sakyi Five, semi finalists of Britain’s Got Talent, will provide entertainment at the gala dinner in Ealing on Friday evening.