Brent MP officially opens rooftop football pitch in Harlesden
- Credit: Archant
An MP was swamped by school pupils in Harlesden as she officially opened a new building with a football pitch of the roof.
Dawn Butler, Labour MP for Brent Central, was at Harlesden Primary School in Acton Lane, to the delight of all the pupils.
Built to cope with the school’s expansion the new building sits alongside the original 1891 Victorian school building.
As a large part of the playground was lost in constructing it, and because the school has no playing fields, an astro-turf football pitch was put on the roof.
Ms Butler said: “It is amazing to be here for the unveiling of Harlesden Primary School’s newest addition. The children here are an inspiration and even taught me a new dance! Teachers at the school have also done a great job in rapidly improving its Ofsted rating; I hope the school continues to go from strength to strength.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Wawn, headteacher said: “The opening of our new school building is an exciting time for Harlesden Primary and the wider community. With the growing need for school places in Brent, we are delighted that we can offer local children the opportunity to join our school.
“The new building also provides additional facilities for all pupils including a large hall, specialist teaching rooms and a fabulous rooftop playground.
- 1 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 2 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 5 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 6 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 7 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 8 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 9 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 10 Pensioner dies after crashing into a wall in Kenton
“Our School is a truly special place because of the rich diversity that each of our families and children bring to it and we look forward to our school family growing.”