Brent MP officially opens rooftop football pitch in Harlesden
- Credit: Archant
An MP was swamped by school pupils in Harlesden as she officially opened a new building with a football pitch of the roof.
Dawn Butler, Labour MP for Brent Central, was at Harlesden Primary School in Acton Lane, to the delight of all the pupils.
Built to cope with the school’s expansion the new building sits alongside the original 1891 Victorian school building.
As a large part of the playground was lost in constructing it, and because the school has no playing fields, an astro-turf football pitch was put on the roof.
Ms Butler said: “It is amazing to be here for the unveiling of Harlesden Primary School’s newest addition. The children here are an inspiration and even taught me a new dance! Teachers at the school have also done a great job in rapidly improving its Ofsted rating; I hope the school continues to go from strength to strength.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Wawn, headteacher said: “The opening of our new school building is an exciting time for Harlesden Primary and the wider community. With the growing need for school places in Brent, we are delighted that we can offer local children the opportunity to join our school.
“The new building also provides additional facilities for all pupils including a large hall, specialist teaching rooms and a fabulous rooftop playground.
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 8 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 9 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 10 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
“Our School is a truly special place because of the rich diversity that each of our families and children bring to it and we look forward to our school family growing.”